Baked Eggs with criollo chorizo, cavolo nero & alubias beans
5 undefined minutes
20 undefined minutes
- Slice the chorizo criollo into 3mm discs and set aside.
- Rinse ½ jar of the alubias beans under cold water, leave to drain.
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron pan, dutch oven or frying pan over moderate heat. Add the EVOO to the pan, wait for 10 seconds then add the chorizo and Cavolo nero. Lightly fry chorizo on one side until golden brown and the cavolo nero until it has begun to blister and crisp, around 2 minutes, flip the chorizo over and add the onion, garlic and bay. Season with a good pinch of salt. Sauté for a further 5 minutes until the onion has turned translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the beans to the pan and enough water to cover ⅔ of them. Turn the heat up and bring the pan to a simmer, using the back of a spoon crush some of the beans to release their starch, this will help thicken the sauce, add a splash more EVOO to the pan, this will encourage the sauce to thicken. Add the fresh oregano and a few gratings of fresh nutmeg and stir it in.
- Once you notice the liquid begin to thicken, make four wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Cover your pan with a lid or plate, turn the heat down to low and simmer for three to four minutes or until the whites of the eggs are just cooked. Take the pan off the heat and allow it to sit for a minute uncovered.
- Transfer to serving bowls, garnish with minced chives and any soft herbs you have.
Serve with fresh or toasted sourdough.