Socca (chickpea pancake / flatbread)
A Socca is a dish from southern France and northern Italy made from chickpea flour so is a gluten free and vegan option for bread lovers. You can mostly find it in street-side grills served with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the gram flour, water, olive oil, and salt together until smooth. Let rest for 30 minutes to give the flour time to absorb the water
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add 1tbsp of olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). Once the oil is almost smoking hot, pour the batter into the center of the frying pan, enough to coat the whole surface of the pan. Cook for 2 minutes like this before transferring the pan to the oven, cook for 8 minutes.
- The socca should be a little flexible in the middle but crispy on the edges, with little air bubbles on the surface.
- When done, tip the socca out onto chopping board, then season with freshly ground black pepper & sea salt.
- Eat while still warm for best results.
- Serve alongside all sorts of dips, salads, grilled meat, vegetables & fish. Or simply eat as a tasty snack to accompany your drink of choice!